Saturday, December 14, 2013

Motivation

A few weeks ago our team gathered together for a week of prayer and worship. We set up a prayer closet and took 2 hour shifts throughout the day. 

We are in a transition period and we wanted to seek out The Lord in what He is leading us to do next. I think we all expected audible answers of "the game plan".

Tuesday November 26, 2013 
Today I was praying for God to give me a vision, a dream, a passion...just something, anything to motivate me. Something to make me feel alive and want to get out of bed in the morning...then I felt it in my spirit..I had it all wrong. I was asking the source of life itself to give me an idol.

That moment in the prayer room has been life changing for me. 

It broke me. 

What a slap in the face it must have been to God. Me asking him to give me a reason to enjoy life, when daily he beckons us, "enjoy me". 

Last year during my 3 months in Karamoja, I had plenty on my agenda to keep me busy and give me fulfillment and purpose. 

In the morning, I would bring my dear akimat friend, whom I called TaTaa (grandmother), some porridge and milk as her neighbors and even own family neglected her due to her sickness. 

During the day I would treat wounds of all sorts that came into our gate. 

In the afternoon I would set out with my friend and translator Wari. We would find the shade of a tree and share stories from the bible with anyone who was willing to listen. 

This time around, it's as if God has stripped me of all I found my "purpose" in. 

TaTaa died.

The health center is now treating wounds.  

And Wari is now starting churches ad making disciples of his own.

I'm not saying anything negative about those things I was doing before, or even about the motives of my heart while doing them. I'm just saying God has brought me to a different place in life, a new season...

A season of sitting at his feet, enjoying Him.

Because if the reason you wake up and get out of bed and make your morning cup of coffee and go brush your teeth and sometimes your hair, and put on your suit and tie or make-up, and go to school or work or stay home and teach your children...if the motivation for any of that is out of anything other than your desire to know and love Jesus...then you, like me, have it all wrong. 

Psalm 27:8 
My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, Lord, I will seek. 

What is your motivation to get out of bed in the morning? 
Do you live to know Him? 
To sit at His feet? 
To enjoy Him? 

Let us press on to know Him. It's all that matters in this life, to know and enjoy our maker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment