Monday, June 20, 2011

roadtrip of a lifetime




This journey all started months ago while sitting at work googling different options of things to do post-graduation. I found this wilderness therapy program, Ashley Valley Wilderness in Vernal, Utah. http://www.ashleyvalleywilderness.com/




so I applied online and had a skype interview and came to training that started on June 13th, my birfday! Training was in tents! (literally) You get in a company vehicle and ride for 2+ hours through the mountains on windy dirt roads, and then they drop ya off with equipment! you set up camp...and there you are. Left to survive...and I survived!




i learned how to cut limbs from trees and carve them with sharp rocks to make this thing that can start a fire ember that you can put in a nest of tree bark and start a fire...


and i learned the hard way that zipping your sleeping bag at night will prevent you from freezing..


i learned how to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner over the camp fire.




My first shift will start on June 29th! I'll work a week and be off a week...wednesday to wednesday. I can't wait to be out there with the students...they are 12-25 year olds struggling with drug abuse, alcoholism, depression and what have you.




and now, here I am, sitting in a coffee shop in glenwood springs, COLORADO!!
on my off shilft i'll be staying here with a dear friend's aunt and uncle and volunteering at their homeleass shelter. they are such a blessing!!


it's in a valley in between mountains and mountains...so beautiful it seems like it should be in another country or something. there is still snow on some of the mountain tops!




I will leave you with a quote from one of my favorite books, "Somewhere", as told by Garret the Parrot.




"We are looking for joy,

we are looking for laughter,

for Once-upon-a-time

and happily-ever-after.

This is Adventure

so follow your heart,

and try not to be

a worry wart!"

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you Camille! You are going to be awesome with those students

    -Amber Fussell

    ReplyDelete
  2. This verse reminded me of you, Camille.

    If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
    John 12:26

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille! It is so great to get an update from you! You have been on my heart and mind all week! Praying for you!
    -Kara Lee Thompson

    ReplyDelete